Traveling with pets can be an exciting and heartwarming experience, but it also comes with its challenges. When it comes to air travel, understanding the pet policies of different airlines is crucial to ensure a stress-free journey for both you and your beloved pet. If you are considering flying with your furry friend on Sun Country Airlines, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we will delve into the complete Sun Country pet policy, providing you with all the information you need for a successful trip with your pet.
Sun Country Pet Policy: Overview
Before we dive into the nitty-gritty details, let’s take an overview of Sun Country pet policy.
- Sun Country Airlines allows passengers to travel with small dogs and cats in the cabin.
- The airline also permits larger pets to travel in the cargo hold, adhering to specific guidelines.
- Pet owners must comply with all the rules and regulations set forth by the airline to ensure a safe and comfortable journey for their pets.
Bringing Your Pet in the Cabin
Traveling with your furry companion in the cabin can be a wonderful experience for both of you. Here’s what you need to know about bringing your pet in the cabin on Sun Country flights.
1. Eligibility for Cabin Travel
Sun Country Airlines permits small dogs and cats to accompany passengers in the cabin. However, there are certain requirements that you must meet to qualify for cabin travel:
- Your pet must be at least 8 weeks old.
- The combined weight of your pet and the carrier must not exceed 16 pounds (7 kg).
- Only a limited number of pets are allowed in the cabin per flight, so it’s essential to make a reservation for your pet in advance.
2. Approved Pet Carriers
When traveling with your pet in the cabin, you must use an airline-approved pet carrier. The carrier should be well-ventilated, secure, and large enough for your pet to stand, turn around, and lie down comfortably. Always check Sun Country’s website for specific dimensions and guidelines for the pet carrier.
3. Fees and Reservations
Sun Country charges a pet fee for each pet traveling in the cabin. It’s crucial to make a reservation for your pet while booking your own ticket, as space for pets is limited. Ensure you arrive at the airport early to complete the necessary formalities for your furry friend.
Traveling with Larger Pets: Cargo Travel
If your pet does not meet the criteria for traveling in the cabin or you have a larger pet, you may opt for cargo travel on Sun Country Airlines. Here’s what you should know about transporting your pet in the cargo hold.
1. Pet Crate Requirements
When traveling in the cargo hold, your pet must be comfortably placed in an IATA-approved pet crate. The crate should be spacious enough for your pet to stand, sit, turn around, and lie down without any restrictions. Additionally:
- Use sturdy materials to ensure the crate’s durability during the journey.
- Label the crate with your contact information, including your name, phone number, and destination address.
2. Health and Documentation
Sun Country Airlines requires a health certificate issued by a licensed veterinarian within a certain timeframe before travel. The certificate should state that your pet is fit for air travel and up-to-date on all necessary vaccinations. It’s essential to check the specific requirements and timelines on the airline’s website.
3. Cargo Travel Fees
Traveling in the cargo hold comes with an additional fee, which varies based on the destination and pet’s weight. It’s advisable to contact Sun Country’s customer service or visit their website for the most up-to-date fee schedule.
Sun Country Pet Policy: Tips for a Smooth Journey
Ensuring a seamless journey for your pet starts with thorough preparation and adherence to the airline’s rules. Here are some valuable tips for traveling with your pet on Sun Country Airlines.
1. Book Early
As mentioned earlier, the number of pets allowed in the cabin is limited. To secure a spot for your furry friend, make sure to book early and inform the airline about your pet’s travel plans.
2. Familiarize Your Pet with the Carrier
Before the journey, help your pet get accustomed to the carrier. Place treats and toys inside, allowing your pet to explore and feel comfortable with the space.
3. Take a Pre-Flight Walk
Before heading to the airport, take your dog for a walk to help them release energy and feel more relaxed during the flight.
4. Avoid Sedation
While it may seem tempting to sedate your pet during the journey, it is generally not recommended. Sedation can have adverse effects on your pet’s health, especially at high altitudes.
5. Arrive Early at the Airport
Arriving early at the airport allows you ample time to complete the necessary paperwork and procedures for your pet’s travel.
6. Keep Calm and Be Patient
Traveling can be stressful for pets, so it’s essential to remain calm and patient throughout the journey. Your reassuring presence can greatly comfort your furry friend.
- Can I travel with my pet on all Sun Country flights?
- While Sun Country Airlines allows pets on most of its flights, there may be certain routes or aircraft where pets are not permitted. It’s crucial to check with the airline when making your reservation.
- Are there any breed restrictions for traveling with pets?
- Sun Country does not have specific breed restrictions; however, they follow size and weight limitations for pets traveling in the cabin.
- Can I bring more than one pet in the cabin?
- Each passenger is generally allowed to travel with only one pet in the cabin. If you have more than one pet, you may need to make separate arrangements.
- What if my pet becomes anxious during the flight?
- If your pet shows signs of anxiety or stress during the flight, try to soothe them with a calm voice and comforting gestures. If necessary, consult a veterinarian for guidance on handling anxiety in pets.
- Can I feed my pet during the flight?
- It’s generally not recommended to feed your pet during the flight, as it may lead to motion sickness. However, keep them hydrated with small sips of water.
- What if my pet has a medical emergency during the journey?
- Sun Country’s flight attendants are trained to handle such situations. If your pet needs medical attention, inform the cabin crew immediately.
Traveling with your pet on Sun Country Airlines can be an enriching experience. By understanding and following the airline’s pet policy, preparing your furry friend for the journey, and adhering to essential tips, you can ensure a safe and enjoyable trip for both you and your beloved pet. Remember, planning and preparation are the keys to a successful journey with your furry companion.