Looking for a better solution to seal the cartons for the security of your products?
Well, you should be! Once you have packed your products in a carton using some protective wrapping paper or void fill; you must seal the box properly so that the items may not come out of it.
Normally, adhesive tapes are used for this purpose. But, the question that arises here is what kind of tape you should prefer, as there are variations in the market. The best among all is a gummed tape dispenser.
It strongly adheres to the box and provides perfect sealing. Moreover, through this article, you’ll come to know about the working and benefits of the gummed tape dispenser.
So, let’s delve into the details!
What is a Gummed Tape Dispenser and how does it work?
A gummed tape dispenser generates gummed tape or water-activated tape. With its fast operating speed, it increases the productivity of packaging. Moreover, it works by wetting the kraft paper tape to ensure strong bonding resulting in super sealed corrugated cartons.
The water from the dispenser lets the adhesive penetrate deep into the cardboard. As the kraft paper tape is pretty tough due to crossed synthetic fibers, the adhesive on it soaks into the fibers of the cardboard box and ensures firm and strong sealing.
The types of gummed or water-activated tape dispensers vary according to their use and working principles.
Types of Gummed Tape Dispenser
There are two basic types of gummed tape dispensers present in the market. Typically, the packaging machine manufacturers design both types of machines for their customers. One is an electric gummed tape dispenser and the other is a manual gummed tape dispenser.
Let’s see how they are different from each other.
Electric Gummed Tape Dispenser
An electric water-activated tape dispenser works by using power or electricity. The whole process is automatic and requires no manual input. Various operations are there which after adjustment operate the machine efficiently.
Here are some instructions to use the electric tape dispenser;
- The first step is to set up the machine, after opening it remove the guide plate and cord present in it.
- If the water bottle is attached to the dispenser, remove it too and fill it with clean water.
- After fixing the water-filled bottle, adjust the guide plate for accurate insertion of kraft paper tape roll.
- When inserting the tape roll, the end of the tape should go over the top of the roll from back to front.
- Once everything is fixed connect the power cord to the switch and power it on.
- Adjust the multiple operating buttons according to the requirements, such as the length of the tape.
- Finally, you are there with a piece of water-activated tape in your hand of the desired length.
Why Should You Prefer an Electric Gummed Tape Dispenser?
An electric gummed tape machine possesses many remarkable features that impress the users to buy it. Here are some of them;
- Ability to work in harsh environments.
- Allow you to experience high-volume and fast packaging.
- You don’t need hard training for learning its use.
- Pretty lower chances of employee risk.
- You can easily customize it.
- Offers you durability and ease of usage.
Manual Gummed Tape Dispenser
Now, it is time to learn about the second type of water-activated tape dispenser. Regarding the manual gummed tape dispenser, it requires no electrical power for operation. Thus, you need to cut and wet the required size of kraft paper tape yourself. However, an adjustable numbered scale is also present that helps you measure the accurate length of the tape.
Furthermore, a lever is present which after pulling cut the required length of the tape and wets it. You’ll come across various manual water-activated tape dispensers in the market. The decision is yours to choose the most suitable. Now, let’s discuss the general use of these dispensers;
- First, unpack the dispenser and remove the accessories present inside.
- Then fix the brackets to the side of the tape machine.
- Additionally, fix the water reservoir it after filling with clean water. Use the brackets for perfect fitting.
- Afterward, fix the paper tape roll in between the guide plates, in such a manner that the plates are close to the roll.
- By facing the gummed surface of the tape downward, loop it over the roller carefully.
- Lastly, pull the lever to the required length mark to cut accurate-sized tape.
Why Should You Prefer a Manual Gummed Tape Dispenser?
The following are some features on basis of which you should prefer a manual gummed tape dispenser;
- It cost less than an electric gummed tape dispenser.
- You can use it in workstations that have no electric grid facility.
- Little or no training is needed for operating it as it doesn’t have any complex operations.
- If you often need to shift your workplace, a manual tape dispenser is pretty lightweight to move.
- Allows you to boost up your packaging business.
How will you know which type of water-activated tape dispenser is suitable for you?
Undoubtedly, this is one of the complex questions to be answered. Although both types have their own benefits, still you need to accept one and reject the other.
How is the idea of making some considerations before buying the one? Let me help you out!
Give a silent read to the following points for making a perfect decision.
An electric water-activated tape dispenser should be preferred if the estimated average amount of cartons reaches 50 or more in a day. This is because an electric tape machine operates faster than a manual machine.
Whereas, if your workstation is deprived of an electric power supply, you should definitely prefer a manual tape machine.
In the end, you are pretty aware of the basics of a gummed tape dispenser, its types, and its use. Whether you choose an electric gummed tape dispenser or a manual gummed tape dispenser, both ensure the tough sealing of your packaging cartons.
The only difference lies in their working speed and cost. Electric water-activated tape dispensers are more costly and operate speedily as compared to manual tape machines.